You have a limited amount of time while in town but still want to make the trip and see the beautiful countryside of Vietnam? You’ll be in good hands with our 1-day Mekong delta small group tour.
In this trip, we’ll take a boat down the Mekong River into the green and lush agricultural heartland of Southern Vietnam. You’ll be on a sampan down the canal, chatting with the locals (our tour guides are better than Google Translate and more attuned to the local stories), trying one of their crafts (weaving, cooking, fishing, etc.) (available by request), and gaining insights into the daily life of a Vietnam farmer. Relax and enjoy yourself among nature and jovial local farmers are all you have to do on this Mekong delta small group tour.
MEKONG DELTA SMALL GROUP TOUR HIGHLIGHTS
– No tourist shops / traps
– Enjoy exotic tropical fruits and home-cooked meals with a Vietnamese family.
– A visit to the local farmers’ home, their place of worship, and craft workshop where they make their living.
– A 40-minute bicycle ride through the village (Vietnamese children will be waving and cheerfully saying “Hello!” to you).
– A motorized boat trip and hand-rowed sampan trip through the peaceful canals (Venice’s canals will look like a small city block after ours :).
– Visit a Cao Dai Temple. Cao Dai is one of the officially recognized religions in Vietnam and is a local mix of Christianity, Buddism and Taoism.
– A visit to Ben Tre, the largest wholesale and retail market for local fruits, foods, and everything one can eat or choose not to eat (ah, there it is! The ever-polarizing “delicious, fragrant, pudding-like” / “stinky, pungent, acrid-smelling” durian) in the South of Vietnam.
DURATION : 1 day
TOUR TYPE/SIZE : Mekong Delta Small group tour / Private tour (Minimum group size is 2 people and the maximum is 8 people)
MEETING/ENDING POINT : Your hotel. Please note that we only offer free hotel pickup and drop off in District 1,3 (some exclusions apply)
We kindly request guests staying outside of our pickup areas to meet us at Saigon Opera House in District 1 for the start of the tour.
DEPARTURE/ENDING TIME : 07:00 AM – 5:00 PM
7:00 AM - We will pick you up from your hotel for a two-hour drive to the picturesque and friendly Ben Tre Province where you’ll be one of the rare foreigners who make it here.
We will make our first stop at a beautiful Cao Dai Temple whose unique architectural style reflects the religion’s blended traditions of Christianity, Buddism and Taoism. Our next stop will be a local market, one of the largest of its kind in the region, and watch from robust trading activities going on to everyday family grocery shopping.
We will then board a cruise going down the Mekong River to watch the daily going-one of the locals, and then switch to a hand-rowed sampan to go through the smaller canals (the equivalent of a back street in the city), lined with lovely local palm trees, to a local home where you can enjoy a variety of tropical fresh fruits.
After this, we will switch to Xe lôi (a motorized cart, a form of local transportation that is more comfortable than the traditional ox-pulled cart) and continue our exploration. Ben Tre Province is The Coconut Producer of Southern Vietnam. As such, our tour would have been missing if we didn’t take you to a coconut-processing factory and explain to you how the locals make a living from coconuts and the variety of products that come from coconuts (who knew coconuts have so many uses?). Aside from coconut, there are many other traditional ways in which the Delta provides for its inhabitants and we’ll go explore some more of them.
For lunch, we will serve up wonderful “home-cooked dishes of the delicious Vietnamese food”. And don’t worry if you’re a vegetarian, let us know and your needs will be accommodated. After lunch, we will come to the highlight of our trip – a 40-minute cycling trip through the charming shaded village roads among the friendly, welcoming residents.
This tour ends when you arrive back at your hotel in Ho Chi Minh City at around 5:00 PM.