Wildlife adventure and culture tour of Kratie including monkey, dolphin, Mekong turtle, 100 pillars pagoda, Phnom Sambok and learn about its history. This is a day trip that takes you to discover all the main attractions in Kratie. Combining local culture with wildlife experiences, make your list even more excited.
– Duration: 6-7 hours
– Pickup location: Pick-up from any centrally located hotels in Kratie.
– Pickup time: 9.00 AM
– Drop off location: Drop-off at any centrally located hotels in Kratie.
– Activities: Wildlife Spotting and Culture Tours
– Watch Irrawaddy river dolphins by boat
– Visit the well-known 100 pillars pagoda and Mekong softshell turtle center
– Friendly, knowlegable English speaking guide
– Learn history, culture and threats to the region
– Climb up Phnom Sambok for a beautiful panoramic view
– Journey along the picturesque Mekong River
We start the day at 9:00AM by travelling north on the old National Highway 7. We make our first stop at mediated of Phnom Sambok, a small mountain which has two peaks, one dull and the other pointed, and has a lush forest filled with birds and some monkeys. A concrete staircase makes the mountaintop accessible. Once at the top, we are rewarded with a beautiful panoramic view of the countryside, especially the Mekong River. We then head up along the Mekong River towards Sambor.
After a traditional lunch overlooking to the Mekong view, we visit the famous 100 pillars pagoda and learn its fascinating history and as a place of pilgrimage for residents of Kratie. It was first built in the 16th century by King Chann Reachea. The pagoda included 100 wooden columns to commemorate the memory of his daughter Vorakpheak who was killed by Mekong crocodile. Afterwards we encounter the Mekong Turtle Conservation Center, see one of the most endangered Mekong softsell turtle. The project looks after baby turtle until they become big enough to protect themselves from big fish, snack, etc.
The highlight of our day is a visit to one of the many deep pools where the rare river dolphins gather to feed. We board a local boat and cruise out into the mighty Mekong for a chance encounter with these gentle mammals. Viewing is guaranteed. After enjoying an hour or more of dolphin viewing, we travel back to Kratie.